Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Christina Applegate 100%' Free of Breast Cancer ?????

I wish these celebrities wouldn't make such sweeping statements of their medical condition. Christina Applegate, star of Samantha Who made the statement that she 100% cancer free after receiving treatment. Read the full report here:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=5606034&page=1

Much as I want to believe this to be true, unfortunately, it may not be so. There is no such thing as being cured of cancer. My oncologist has been very frank and candid with me regarding my mortality. She said it to my face at the start of my journey that i will never be cured. The best she could do for me is to put me into remission for as long as possible. The longer I live, the higher chance i have at beating this disease. If you ask me, I think she managed my expectations pretty well. At least I knew from the start, that my life will never be the same ever again, and that I will live with the cloud hanging over my head.

Well, perhaps things are very different in La-La land.

Oh, today is also a dear friend's cancer-versary. She was diagnosed a couple of weeks later than me. She was a Stage 3A, and I was a Stage 2A when diagnosed. And here she is, 5 years later, without a recurrence. I am so happy for her. Cancer is a strange thing, isn't it?

No comments: